The Best Movies of 2019 (so far).
I often mention how much I love movies, and I spend a lot of my time studying them, watching them, and doing research about them. Much of my love for film and television comes from my interest in writing and storytelling, which is why I'm such an avid writer in my free time, writing scripts for movies that won't ever exist.
My girlfriend and I try to have one date night a week and those nights usually consists of dinner and a movie. We usually decide what movie to watch at dinner, and this year, we've seen over 10 movies. Now as much as I am a big fan of the film industry, I'm also a (self-proclaimed) harsh movie critic. and most films are pretty mediocre. Very few films can satisfy my criteria for a 'good' movie, so I'm going to do a quick rundown of the best movies, so far, of 2019.
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
The How to Train Your Dragon series has taken a strange turn. I'm not quite sure if the original film's intention was to create a major franchise, but it did. The Hidden World is the best film in the series since the first movie. The film draws on precedents and plot elements brought along from the first two films and the Netflix series.
The film overall is beautiful. The animation quality has drastically increased since the first film in 2010 and the second film in 2014. The story follows Hiccup and Toothless once again as their stories come to an end in the final film of the franchise. There most certainly will continue to be spinoff films and series.
Hotel Mumbai
Hotel Mumbai is a biographical film about the 2008 Mumbai attacks. I actually didn't know anything about the attacks until I saw the film, as I was only nine years old at the time of the event. Following the film, I did quite a bit of research on the event and found that the film was very accurate to the actual occurrence.
The film is very gruesome, and Director Anthony Maras said that the film was not watered down explicitly to show that this was not a Hollywood action flick. The film is dark and violent, but a must watch.
Captain Marvel
The last film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe before Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel is a wonderful film. Set in the 1990's, the backdrop for Captain Marvel feels the most real out of any of the Marvel films.
Brie Larson does a spectacular job as Captain Marvel, and Samuel L. Jackson reprises his role as Nick Fury, only 25 years younger. Like most Marvel films, this is a must see.
Us
Jordan Peele has made it clear he's here to stay, especially as a director. The follow up to 2017's Get Out keeps the horror alive. Psychological horror is the new trend in the horror industry and Jordan Peele has made it clear he's a frontrunner.
There's not much to say about Us. Go watch it.
Avengers: Endgame
11 years in the making, Avengers: Endgame is the conclusion to 22 Marvel films and the end of the Infinity Saga. Endgame has shattered most of the box office weekend records, and will likely continue to do so.
I saw this movie on opening night in a sold out theater. It was an experience unlike any other. This is easily the best superhero film of all-time.

No comments:
Post a Comment